Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Challenge

Pressed by the suitors to choose a husband from among them, Penelope said that she will marry the man who can string my bow and shoot an arrow through twelve ax handle sockets. The suitors attempted, but all of them failed. Still in disguise, I asked for a turn. In one motion I strung the bow and  I slid my right hand down the cord and plucked it. The vibrating hummed and sang a swallow’s note. I made it through all the sockets and won the challenge. The suitors were angry and surprised at the same time. Zeus thundered overhead, one loud crack for a sign. I laughed within. I said to Telemachus:
“Telemachus, the stranger you welcomed in your hall has not disgraced you. I did not miss; neither did I take all day stringing the bow. My hand and eye are sound, not as contemptible as the young men say. The hour has come to cook their lordships’ mutton–supper by daylight. Other amusements later, with song and harping that adorns a feast.”
Telemachus agreed. He belted his sword on, clapped hand to his spear, and with a clink and glitter of keen bronze stood by his chair, in the forefront near his father.

No comments:

Post a Comment