Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Scylla and Charybdis

As the Sirens faded, I saw smoke and white water and the men heard a sound and it terrified them. As the men panicked and dropped their oars, I spoke gently and said "Friends, have we never been in danger before this? More fearsome, is it now, than when the Cyclops penned us in his cave? What power he had! Did I not keep my nerve, and use my wits to find a way out for us?" The men then knew I would keep us out of trouble. They had faith in me. But as I sent them on toward Scylla, I didn't tell them anything, because I knew they would panic. They would have dropped their oars again. So I took up two heavy spears and made my way along the deck of the ship, looking for the sea monster, thinking I'd see her for the first time here. I strained my eyes but nowhere could I catch sight of her. And then she vomited, all the sea was like a cauldron seething over intense fire, when the mixture suddenly heaves and rises. The waves and white water were all around and it fell like rain. When she swallowed the sea water down we saw the funnel of the storm and heard the rocks all around. My men, by then, were in a panic. And that is when Scylla made her strike, taking out six of my best men from the ship. She ate them as they shrieked my name. I suffered as I watched them. But, we rowed on, my men in sorrow, and in doubt. We traveled on. My my didn't know what was yet to come, and I awaited the evils to show... 

No comments:

Post a Comment